I’ve got you a special manga-inspired snack – the Onigirazu – Sushi sandwich recipe for Geek Pride Day!
Geek Pride Day is around the corner. It’s going to be a day for us to celebrate the geek inside us all. And it will be about watching movies, reading those science fiction books, or simply spending the day solving jigsaw puzzles. Now that you’ve planned your day, how about adding some fun element (read as food) to it too?
But the question is – what will be a fun, easy, and healthy recipe for Geek Pride Day? As you all know, I love sharing recipes, especially to celebrate different days and festivals. And by no means was I going to leave behind the Geek Pride Day! So today, I’ve got you a special manga-inspired recipe – the Onigirazu, but with a twist. Before I begin with the easy Sushi sandwich recipe, I’ll be briefing you about the star ingredient of this plant-based, vegan recipe – umeboshi, the sourest fruit from Japan.
The health benefits of umeboshi, the key ingredient to the Onigirazu – Sushi sandwich recipe.
Considering how sour umeboshi is, the presence of citric acid is something inevitable. This citric acid contains the highest concentration of citric acid compared to any fruit found across the world. Even the smallest umeboshi features citric acid that’s thrice as much as lemons! This fruit has immense health benefits – it is perfect for detoxification and is a great energy booster too. It works wonders on the skin, bringing out a lovely glow.
This mouth-watering sharpness of umeboshi helps increase appetite while improving blood circulation and the immune system in the body. It helps break down and flush out lactic acid, which is one of the primary causes of physical fatigue.
The presence of benzoic acid in umeboshi limits the proliferation of bacteria. An excellent source of antioxidants, umeboshi helps protect the body from the drastic effects of free radicals. This also helps to reduce the risk of different diseases while helping delay the aging process.
Rich in vitamin C, umeboshi is excellent for your oral health. It has been found especially effective against bacteria causing gingivitis and other gum diseases. This helps prevent the conversion of these gum issues into more serious ones, which are typically difficult to treat.
It’s perfect for your stomach!
Umeboshi has properties that would help recover from painful conditions such as stomach ulcers. These ulcers cause a great deal of discomfort to anyone affected and leave the lining of the intestines swollen and inflamed. Thanks to the presence of essential elements in umeboshi, it can immediately help tackle H.pylori, the bacteria that causes gastric ulcers.
The low nutritional count of umeboshi is what makes it our best friend on the weight loss journey. One gram of umeboshi has less than 7 calories, making it the perfect food for those looking to maintain their weight. The high fiber content also helps improve the overall functioning of the digestive system. The fiber helps to alleviate constipation, as well as diarrhea.
Now I’m sure you all must be wondering what exactly am I going to prepare with this super sour fruit. So without any delay, let’s get started with the Onigirazu – Sushi Sandwich Recipe:
- transparent plastic film
- 2 cup cooked brown rice
- 2 nori sheets
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp brown rice vinegar
- 1/2 tsp coconut sugar
- 2 tsp umeboshi paste
- 1/2 cucumber thinly sliced
- 1/2 avocado thinly sliced
- 1 cup purple cabage thinly sliced
- Mix in a small bowl the sesame oil, brown rice vinegar and coconut sugar. Once the rice is cooked place it in a tray, and coat it with the mixture. Reserve at room temperature.
- Cut a piece of film and put a sheet of nori on top (rough side up). Slightly wet your hands and place a bit rice with a squre shape in the center of the nori sheet, flatten it well. Then add 1 tsp of umeboshi paste spreading it evenly over the rice.
- Over the rice add then a thin layer of cucumber, then purple cabbage, avocado, and finally a new layer of rice. Try to make everything flatten.
- Close the seaweed by folding the four corners. Then pack with the plastic wrap and close it tightly.
- Leave it like that until you about to eat it. Cut it in half and remove the plastic film.