Let’s talk about why tofu recipes are so healthy. Today’s vegan-friendly recipe includes tofu and many other great spices! Enjoy!
Are you tired of your same old regular breakfast or lunch meal? Well, I have the perfect recipe for you to turn your meal into something spectacular. The Mediterranean Spiced Tomato Scramble will be a game-changer for your meal routine, and it is entirely vegan-friendly, obviously! This meal idea will completely wow your taste buds. The recipe will include tofu and many other great spices below. But first, I want to go over why you should substitute your meats for tofu and why including spices in your daily meal plan is very important for your body function. Let’s find out why tofu recipes are so healthy!
Why is tofu healthy?
I’m sure you heard many people tell you to eat tofu and that it’s an excellent meat substitute. Well, that’s not the only reason to eat tofu; it is also packed with many nutritional values. It is super high in protein, filled with antioxidants and in addition to all of that, it is an excellent boost to your immune system. Tofu is made from bean curd; it was first discovered by a Chinese cook roughly 2000 years ago.
There are also several different types of tofu that are:
- Fermented tofu: It is a briny, creamy variety, which is also pickled.
- Silken tofu: Japanese-style can be used as a dessert or a substitute because it is creamy and has a very high water texture.
- Regular tofu: This one you will see sold in three different types, which are soft, medium, or firm. You can use it in soups, as a meat substitute, or in scrambles just like today.
- Smoked tofu: This one has a smoky flavor and can be eaten raw, or you can add it to your salad.
- Seasoned tofu: Comes seasoned in the package with many different types of BBQ or teriyaki sauce.
No matter which tofu you choose, all of them are filled with flavor and nutritional value. By the way, if you want to learn more about soya, check out this article about pros and cons.
Health benefits of herbs and spices
If you love to cook as I do, you know that including spices in your dish to enhance the flavor, it is essential. But did you know having spices in your meals will impact more than your taste buds?
Some of the spices that have vital benefits are:
- Chili pepper
- Black pepper
Just to name a few. There are many other herbs and spices that you can include in your meal to increase health value. Some people consume them to help the traditional Medicine. For example, some of the benefits of including spices in your every day include:
- Full of antioxidants
- Can help easing pain
- Can help relieving nausea
The spiced tomato scramble will keep you full longer because it is loaded with protein and fiber. It will also benefit your health because most of the main spices that are great for your health are included in this one meal. I totally recommend you to try it! I tried it once and I have been eating it every day since then, and I never get bored. That’s how great it is.
- 3/4 firm tofu bloc
- 1 cup diced tomato from can
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 tbsp Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp za'atar
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp black pepper freshly grounded
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 pinch leaves such as cilantro or chives chopped
- Place a deep pan over medium heat.
- When heated, add the EVOO and the onion, fry for about 5 minutes.
- Once the onion is golden, add the garlic and the tomatoes, gently sauté for another couple of minutes.
- Add the za'atar and cook over low heat for 5 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, break the tofu until you get a scrambled egg texture and add to the pan, increasing the heat slightly for 3 minutes, mixing it with the veggies with a wooden spoon.
- Add the turmeric and the freshly grounded black pepper and cook for 1 more minute.
- When ready, serve immediately sprinkling the dried oregano and fresh herbs of choice.
- Enjoy with fresh non processed bread if you wish!